Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         Bill Hensley <Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com>
Date:         18 Jul 96 01:59:30

Gerard Foley wrote:
>    I'm surprised.  I would think a tanker would have additional tankage
> to accomodate a fuel weight equal to the passenger plus cargo weight
> of the equivalent airliner type.

Gerry, you are correct.  Both U.S. primary refueling assets, KC-135s and KC-10s,
use auxillary fuel tanks that are installed into what would be the lower lobe
cargo areas.  The deck is still available for cargo.  A -135 can pass up to
120,000 lbs of gas, and a KC-10 up to 356,000 lbs.  I think that A-6s used for
the Navy refueling role have extra underwing tanks as well, but that comes
from seeing a photo.

I always thought a cool picture would be a KC-135 refueling an EC-135 which
was refueling an E-4B or E-3...

Cheers, Bill

Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Hensley/