Re: Status of Maine 1649 Connies?

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:59:52

tim@me.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi) wrote:

Don't have answers to many of your questions, interesting though they
be.

>The Hercules was well under way by 1955; there was no
>serious attempt at making a turboprop Starliner..
>It seems that turbo-compound piston engines were
>maintenence headaches - any ideas for the popularity
>of piston engines?

As I pointed out in one message somewhere, sometime, Lockheed tried to
create the Starliner as a propjet, but was unsuccessful due to lack of
proper engines/props. Motivation to continue project as piston type
*might* have been due to input from TWA, which promised to buy
aircraft if produced. The effort to create a propjet appears to have
been rather serious, in fact--but that's judgement from a far
distance.