Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Gerard Foley)
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:59:51

Robert Dorsett (rdd@netcom.com) wrote:

<snip>

: Also, keep in mind that tankers are more or less just regular airliners,
: with an ability to refuel other airplanes.  Unless special accomod-
: ations are made, the onboard fuel capacity is the same as for their civilian
: equivalent.

<snip>

   I'm surprised.  I would think a tanker would have additional tankage
to accomodate a fuel weight equal to the passenger plus cargo weight
of the equivalent airliner type.

   Otherwise I agree with all the explanations about why the airlines
don't and shouldn't use aerial refuelling.

  An omitted reason for military aerial refuelling is that it doesn't
require permission from a foreign power to land and refuel.

--
Gerry