O'Hare -> Hong Kong Non-Stop

From:         heape@lor.cig.mot.com (Rob Heape)
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:51:49

I believe I heard Monday was the first day for United's O'Hare
to Hong non-stop Route.  They are flying a 747-400, about 1700 miles,
I think this makes it the longest  commerical flight at
16 hours.  I also heard reports they have to give Russia
$2500.00 per flight and China the same amount for ATC usage.

It's amazing they can do this.  If the winds aren't right,
they said they will have to touch down in San Francisco or
Toyko.  It also depends upon the load too of course.  It
was interesting to see what they used as the average weight
per passenger. I think it was about 200 pounds including
luggage. Seems too light...

Anyone have more details on the flight?

-Rob