Re: getting hit by lightning

From:         Konrad Kelley <wingnut@mail.utexas.edu>
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:51:48

In article <airliners.1996.1228@ohare.Chicago.COM> Pete Mellor,
pm@csr.city.ac.uk writes:
>That was always my understanding. However, I have heard that the
>increasing use of composites in airframe construction has significantly
>reduced the "Faraday cage" properties of modern airliners. Anyone know
>anything about this?

        The addition of a fine wire mesh in the composites provides
the current path for lightning protection and greatly reduces the
damage to the composite. So the Faraday cage is still there. A recent
"Beyond 2000" or "Next Step" had a segment on this issue.

        All parts of any aircraft are required to be electrically
bonded to each other to prevent lightning from arc-welding the movable
parts together, like control surfaces hinges. This is accomplished by
woven wire straps attached between the moving parts... a good thing to
check on preflights while you are already looking.

Konrad Kelley
 A&P mechanic and senior aerospace engineering student (UnivTx/Austin)