Re: AA 757 Crash

From:         jas12@cus.cam.ac.uk (Julian Scarfe)
Date:         10 Jan 96 02:01:39

In article <airliners.1996.2@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rdd@netcom.com (Robert
Dorsett) wrote:

> We don't know squat about the crash.  Just the vague media reports.   And
> clearly, from the media reports, the checklist issue is being mentioned only
> as another factor in the direction of presenting pilot error as the cause
> of this crash.

Wally Roberts has put together some information on the accident, including
the Columbian press release with some preliminary details, and a TPC
(half-mil) chart of the area in JPEG format:

http://www.webcom.com/terps/cali/welcome.html

Most of what has been said about the crash has been speculation (you can
find some more opinions on rec.aviation.ifr), but it does seem from what
has been published that both interference (bombs etc.) and major equipment
failure are extremely unlikely to have been factors, leaving this as yet
another controlled flight into terrain accident.  As always in such cases,
the causal factors leading up to the accident require careful analysis --
simply citing "crew error" very rarely tells the whole story.

Julian Scarfe
jas12@cus.cam.ac.uk