Re: Spelling of "vortex"

From: (Cole Pierce)
Organization: MDSSC
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:51:47 
References:   1 2 3
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1996.1279@ohare.Chicago.COM>, (Geoffrey Mccarthy) writes:
|> Brits are more likely than we Yanks to retain the Latin plurals.  The
|> Latin plural of vortex is vortices,  just as the proper plural of index
|> is indices, 'tho we hear indexes a lot, don't we...

I actually heard a speaker use the term 'indicee' for the singular form
of 'indicees.'  Guess he never heard of 'index.'  Going full circle, so
to speak.

The same fellow used "processees" for the plural of 'process,' even tho
that's a french derivation, if I recall, rather than Latin-direct.

Engineers sure talk funny.