RE: aircraft engine names

From:         McElravy <cpa1@penn.com>
Date:         16 Jul 96 13:51:46

>They also do a nice job of naming their planes at British Airways.  The
>747s are named after cities, the 757s are named after castles, I'm not
>sure what the 767s, A-320s, and 737s are named after, and the 777s >are
>named after famous aviation figures.  I am disappointed, however, that
>there seems to be no plan at BA to name a 777 after R.J. Mitchell, the
>designer of my favorite airplane, the Supermarine S-6b, and of course,
>the Supermarine Spitfire.
>
>The US carried the engine-naming tradition through the demise of the
>piston engine, with the Wasp and Whirlwind series of engines from >Pratt &
>Whitney and Wright.

It seems like naming each individual plane is a rather common practice on
international airlines. U.S. airlines seem to only give their planes names
when they are of a special breed. Too bad. Remembering that you were on the
Western Pacific "Winter Wonderland Plane" is much easier than remembering
that you were on N962WP.

Just for laughs I checked the KLM webpage (www.klm.nl) and cracked their
code. For those who care, it works out this way:

	A310 -- Artists (Rembrandt, Vermeer, van Gogh)
	MD-11 -- Women (Marie Curie, Florence Nightengale)
	767-300 -- Bridges (Golden Gate, Brooklyn)
	737-300, 400 -- Explorers (Marco Polo, Henry Hudson)
	747-300 Combi -- Aviation Pioneers (Frank Whittle, Leonardo di Vinci)
	747-300 Passenger -- Rivers (Indus, Missouri)
	747-400 -- Cities (Atlanta, Nairobi, Melbourne)
	Fokker 100 -- Scientists/Inventors (I think, I wasn't too good at those
 		ones, I hesitated even mentioning this one for fear of looking
		 daft  -- Leeuwenhoek, Oort)

Quite clever. Many of the names were Dutch (Rembrandt), but some were
non-Dutch (Marco Polo, Atlanta) names with instant recognizability.