Re: French 747 mishaps

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:28

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:

>Overran the runway and damamaged beyond economic repair at Rio-Galeao.
>I can't find the name of GIG (Rio's main airport) but that doesn't
>sound right.

Unless it's changed (my source is a bit old), GIG (ICAO: SBGL) is
"Guanabara, Aeroporto Internacional do Rio de Janeiro."

However, Aeroporto do Galeao (later Galeao International Airport), a
military aerodrome, was the name of this airport until 1977,  when the
new terminal area was dedicated 20 April, the old Galeao terminal then
being used for cargo/charter/executive ops.