Re: French 747 mishaps

From:         rrea@caedm.et.byu.edu (Richard N. Rea)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:28

In article <airliners.1996.1133@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>From: kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
>Subject: Re: French 747 mishaps
>Date: 07 Jul 96 14:08:59

>Overran the runway and damamaged beyond economic repair at Rio-Galeao.
>I can't find the name of GIG (Rio's main airport) but that doesn't
>sound right.  I can't find it in my atlas, either, so I don't know
>where it really is.  (747-228B(C) sn 22427 ln 485)

Galeao (there's a tilde over the a) is the principal (international) aeroport
for Rio de Janeiro (located on Ilha do Governador - Governor's Island, just
outside of town).  The other main aeroport in Rio is Santos Dumont (closer to
downtown Rio, much smaller than Galeao), and serves domestic traffic since the
opening of Galeao.