Re: getting hit by lightning

From:         ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan Browne)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:27

In article <airliners.1996.1191@ohare.Chicago.COM>, ergun@theory.lcs.mit.edu
says...

>to be hit? (in our case even the lights didn't go off)
>Is it a pretty common thing to happen? Has anybody crashed because of it?

I don't know about crashes...but I have seen pictures where lighting pierced
the skin of a wing (or maybe it was the flap or aileron).  a bit of
scorching, with a very small hole in the center...It could not be seen in
the photo if the under side was also pierced.  I don't recall if it was
possible to determine if it was composite or allu..

The Beechcraft Starship (now Raytheon) is an all composite, so no Faraday
cage, or groundplane.  This caused us problems with the Omega antenna
installation.

Alan Browne
Canadian Marconi Co.