Re: aircraft engine names

From:         "Ron.Bevitt" <ronbev@roncom.mcb.net>
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:27

In article <airliners.1996.1153@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Richard Weatherill
<rjw@atc.dra.hmg.gb> writes
>Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>>On a less-than-serious note....
>
>>Where have all the engine names gone? :-) 'Proteus' is probably my all time
>>favorite, but 'Dart', 'Olympus', 'Merlin', 'Eland' (a Napier turboprop), and
>>'Griffon' are all in the running. 'Nene' is right out, though :-)

    The Bristol Airplane Co. built aircooled radials when most UK
competitors were using liquid cooling inline or "V".They had evocative
names derived from classic mythology,such as "PEGASUS",winged horse
and,best of all  "HERCULES".
    Who could ever doubt the safety of a plane powered by these.
  The Mk III Halifax 4 engined bomber was used mainly by Canadian
aircrew,and was considered superior in performance to the earlier
Merlin engined types.
  To get back to airliners,my favourite "mill" has got to be the
 "WASP",if only for the unique and instantly recogniseable sound.
PW were streets ahead when they designed this series.
--
Ron.Bevitt