Re: Delta Flt 1288

From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:26

In article <airliners.1996.1221@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) writes:

>The *side* engines on a 727?  What do you think is in the middle?!
>There were some Stage III 727 proposals that involved replacing the
>#1 and #3 engines (with RR Tays, I think) while leaving the JT8D in
>the #2 position so as to avoid the significant expense of modifying
>the S-duct or its intake, but to my knowledge it's not been done.
>(The Dee Howard 727 conversions for UPS and perhaps others involve
>replacing all three engines; the modified #2 intake is quite
>distincive.)

The UPS conversion is the RR Tay conversion.  You are correct that all 3
engines are replaced.  This conversion is only for the -100.  There is a
stage III conversion for the -200 known as the Valsan conversion.  On this
one the #1 and #3 are replaced with JT8D-217 or -219 "MD-80" engines,
while the number two is typically a JT8D-17.

>I'd be very surprised to see any airline willing to operate a type
>with two different engines on the same airframe.

The 727 can be operated with an engine "intermix".  However it's typically
just different series JT8D's; -7, -9, -15 or -17's.  It's usually just
temporary for maintenance convenience.

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!