Re: Delta Flt 1288

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:25

>Back to the JT8D, it's also on first generation 737s (-100 and -200)
>and the rare Dassault Mercure.  I think some Caravelles had them
>instead of RR Avons, but my references don't support that.  Maybe it
>was just a test.

At one time, I read that the JT8D was the most widely used single type of
turbofan in the world. Given that at that time, the 727 was the most widely
produced single airliner, (and it uses 3 of them), and the 737 -100 and -200 as
well as all DC-9's up until the MD 90 used them, I could EASILY believe it to
be true. And yes, some Caravelles used them, and A6 Intruders use a derivative
of the JT8D. It has been, and continues to be, one of the most reliable
workhorses around.

>>In other words, the media's statement about the JT8D's role on a
>>variety of aircraft is fact, and the "discovery" about Valuejet's DC-9
>>engines is nothing that should surprise or worry anyone.

I heartily disagree! Yes, it is a fact that its the same engine (although a
very different derivative) as used on DC-9's. HOWEVER! the fact that the media
reported it AT ALL implies to many people that there is a causal connection.
This is NOT true, and it is deceptive, irresponsible, and unprofessional of the
media to raise such a red herring.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029