Re: Delta Flt 1288

From:         wingedhoof@aol.com (Wingedhoof)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:25

Karl says:
>There were some Stage III 727 proposals that involved replacing the
>#1 and #3 engines (with RR Tays, I think) while leaving the JT8D in
>the #2 position so as to avoid the significant expense of modifying
>the S-duct or its intake, but to my knowledge it's not been done.
<snip>
>I'd be very surprised to see any airline willing to operate a type
>with two different engines on the same airframe.  The maintenance
>folks would be incredibly irritated by such a monster!

This mod was offered by Valsan.  It involved replacing the two outboard
engines with JT8D-200 series and hushkitting the center engine.  The
thrust reverser was eliminated from the center engine in the process.
Several of these mods were sold.  Delta may have been a customer.  It
really improved performance.  Valsan has since gotten out of this business
by selling it to someone else (sorry, can't remember who).  Since many
airlines operate both 727s and MD-8X, the engine mix might not have been
too difficult to deal with.