Re: Old NW DC-9's

From:         ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan Browne)
Date:         14 Jul 96 22:43:24

>Well, it's a good PR move.....
>This drum is beat constanly, but:  AGE doesn't matter,
>if it is a REAL airline (like NW)....the oldest planes
>in the country, if run by a major, are CREAMPUFFS...they
>are completely rebuilt every few years.  Look at any
>AMR 727....they all look like they just rolled out of the
>factory...

A few years ago, NW and Air Canada were considering pooling their fleets for
a major overhaul (airframe and new engine type, and maybe avionics) to
extend the life of the venerable -9's in their fleets.  I believe another
airline was also in the pot.  In the end, fow whatever reason, this did not
go ahead...I don't know why...Any comments?

Alan Browne.