Re: Flight Recorder Durability

From:         ehahn@wren.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         25 Jan 96 00:55:05

In article <airliners.1996.22@ohare.Chicago.COM> Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk> writes:

<snip about redundant FDRs>

> The Aircraft Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) could be considered
> to provide another form of redundancy, in which the main parameters are
> broadcast continually and recorded at a ground receiving station.

<more snips>

> I would generally agree, but we might already have just that (a QAR
> in the roof) plus a completely different recording mechanism (ACARS).

The Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting Systems (ACARS),
in general, is not set up to "broadcast continually" flight
parameters.  There are some carriers who use some automatic processing
to generate reports at certain times (e.g. EGT over heat, hard
landing), but these are very much isolated snapshots.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but this is one area I'm familiar with in which
mis-information abounds.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------