Re: Spelling of "vortex"

From:         Pete Mellor <>
Date:         10 Jul 96 12:47:13 
References:   1
Followups:    1
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

Geno Rice <> wrote on Sun Jul  7 23:02:27 1996:-

> I don't know British usage, but I suspect the Latin plural may
> be preferred.

Collins English Dictionary gives "vortexes" and "vortices" as
alternative spellings, with no indication that either is preferred,
or that one or the other is more common in the US. Personally, I have
always used "vortices", and didn't know of the alternative until now.

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585