Re: getting hit by lightning

From:         Jon Ward <Jon_Ward@blibble.demon.co.uk>
Date:         09 Jul 96 13:09:47

           ergun@theory.lcs.mit.edu "A. Funda Ergun" writes:
> (I presume the plane could take some throwing around but the electrical
> system might die.)

I can't say anything about mechanical and hydraulic systems. However, the
electronic units that the company I work for makes have large amounts of
lightning protection. Lightning strike tests are one of the standard tests
for qualification. I have seen transorbs take up a 1/3 of a card before
today.

To be honest, the things we do to our units amaze me. Salt spray, full
functionality between -40 and +70 oC, vibration profiles over 7G acceleration,
EMC testing (some units have input levels of less than 10mV). We throw
ridculous enviromental extremes at the damn things and _still_ they work.

Aerospace is an unforgiving enviroment.

> It was an interesting experience in how slowly time passes during distress :-)

Yes. The prospect of imminant death does strange things to one's mental
processes.

I presume (for the purposes of lighting strike) that one can treat the body
of the plane as a Faraday cage.

Jon Ward
--------
Work : JRW@liyorkrd.li.co.uk        | #include "disk$standard:disclaimer.h"