Re: SAA 747 SP encounters CAT

From:         dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin)
Date:         25 Jan 96 00:55:05

In article <airliners.1996.93@ohare.Chicago.COM>, mike.epprecht@digitec.co.za (MIKE EPPRECHT) writes:
> Good day.
>
> Friday 19 January 1996, a South Africa Airways 747 SP encountered severe
> air turbulance on a flight from Johannesburg to Juddeah. The aircraft
> just crossed over the Zaire border at cruise altitude when it was
> lifted 400 feet followed by a drop of 800 feet. Airspeed increased from
> .85 to .89 during the drop. The autopilot dis-engaged and the crew
> managed to maintain control of the aircraft.
>
> All 3 INS units were u/s for a period of 5 minutes, as well as
> 1 generator which dropped offline.
>
> The aircraft turned back to Johannesburg and landed safely 2 hours
> later.
>
> There was no structural airframe damage but various interior
> panels, interior windows and other cabin equipment was damaged.
>
> 100 Passengers were injured, 24 required hospitalization.
>

> I'd say tha tthis was a really rough one, comments ???

One thing that this points out, based on the assumption that the pax
hurt were thrown around the cabin, is that many people don't take the
usual captain's announcement on seatbelts when seated seriously. CAT
is always a possibility. Mishaps like the above need more publicity to
make the travelling public aware of consequences of not wearing the
belt while seated.

I get a perverse kick out of things like this and other related items
like passengers leaving their seats and making for the exits prior to
stopping at the gate. On several flights I was on where this practice
was widespread (Russians were the worst offenders), the plane's tug
made an abrupt stop, sending pax in the aisles down like dominoes.

--
       David Medin            Phone: (319) 395-1862
   Rockwell Collins ATD	      Internet: