Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         09 Jul 96 13:09:45

dkhodges@aol.com (Dkhodges) wrote:
>A question to those who know much more than I about the airline industry:
>Why is it that aerial re-fuelling, which has gained wide acceptance as a
>military technology has not gained the same acceptance in the civiian
>sector.  It seems a reasonable way to fly longer routes with less
>expensive aircraft, and perhaps a lucrative field for a "tanking" service
>as well.

I would assume that the inherently great risk of putting two large aircraft in
such close proximity makes it a no-go for passenger aircraft. I'm sure the
insurance underwriters would have a field day if a commercial airline were to
make aerial refuelling a routine operation.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029