Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         Kevin & Amy Clifford <clifford@gorilla.net>
Date:         09 Jul 96 13:09:45

Dkhodges wrote:

> Why is it that aerial re-fuelling, which has gained wide acceptance as a  military technology has not gained the same acceptance in the civiian
> sector.

I can think of two reasons airlines don't use air refueling.

First is expense. It costs as much or more to fly and maintain the tanker
as it does an airliner. Therefor, it's cheaper to land the airliner,
refuel, and continue the flight.

Secondly, air refuel is dangerous. It takes a great deal of practice and
skill to do it, and do it safely. If anything goes wrong you could loose
both aircraft. Also, I don't think the airlines could afford the
additional training costs.

Kevin
Maintainer