Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         "Doug Snow (HUF)" <dougie@mama.indstate.edu>
Date:         09 Jul 96 13:09:45

On 7 Jul 1996, Dkhodges wrote:

> A question to those who know much more than I about the airline industry:
> Why is it that aerial re-fuelling, which has gained wide acceptance as a
> military technology has not gained the same acceptance in the civiian
> sector.  It seems a reasonable way to fly longer routes with less
> expensive aircraft, and perhaps a lucrative field for a "tanking" service
> as well.

One reason this that FAR Part 121 prohibits formation flying by any
aircraft operated under it. And an in-flight refuel would definitely
qualify as a formation flight operation.  I am unable to remember the
precise reg section, but it's in there!

-----
Douglas Snow  (HUF)                          dougie@mama.indstate.edu
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/dougie
American International Airways (AIA/HUF)                 SITA=HUFOOCB