Re: getting hit by lightning

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:16:01

>I know planes are designed to handle lightning ... Is it a pretty
>common thing to happen? Has anybody crashed because of it?

I don't know how common it is, but I believe there's been at least one
crash due to a lightning strike.  Details should be in the newsgroup
archives (see http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archive-search.html and
try searching for "lighting and crash") but as I recall a 707 or KC-135
crashed near Baltimore some years ago after a lightning strike triggered
an explosion in one of the fuel tanks in the wings.  I don't recall if
there was a leak or some other additional cause or if it was just the
lightening, but I'm sure the details are in the archives.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com