Re: Air France Smoking "Policy"

From:         Jim, Hogan@bcstec.ca.boeing.com
Date:         25 Jan 96 00:55:04

In article <airliners.1996.70@ohare.Chicago.COM> JW6191A@american.edu (John Witherspoon) writes:
>In article <rddDL8A5C.CGE@netcom.com>
>kalia@sludge.chem.nwu.edu (R. Kalia) writes:
>>In article <4d3s7j$qtj@kragar.kei.com>, JW6191A@american.edu. says...
>>>
>>>On a recent Air France A340 flight from Paris CDG to Washington IAD, I
>>>noticed that the smoking section of the Tempo, or economy class, was in
>>>the middle third of the cheap seats, leaving a non-smoking section between
>>>the smokers and the aft area of the plane...
>>
>>Some months ago I read something about the ventilation on newer (and
>>larger?) planes being such that the middle was the best place for the smoking
>>section.  I am not sure I believe this, but it fits the fact that your
>>experience was on an A340. Perhaps someone at sci.aeronautics will know
>>about cabin ventilation?
>
>Anybody know anything on this?

In general, on Boeing aircraft (as well as MD & Airbus I believe) the air
distribution systems are designed so that there is little or no air
movement along the axis of the passenger cabin - i.e. air enters the cabin
at ceiling level, circulates in a certain pattern unique to each model,
and then exits below the floor via return air grilles.  Therefore, IN
THEORY, it would not matter where the smoking section is placed.  In
practice, however, there is often some aisle flow (fore/aft air movement)
caused by changes in various operating characteristics of the airplane -
forward/aft outflow valve bias, cabin pressure schedule, air conditioning
pack schedule, E/E cooling system operating mode, etc.

In general, I would recommend that the smoking section be placed at the
aft end of the airplane (close to the main outflow valve) - but on a
multi-class widebody there is usually more than one smoking section and
class locations & number of smokers dictate where smoking is allowed.

BTW - if I'm not mistaken, Air France has a unique smoking section on
their 767's (and possibly 747's ??) which incorporates additional
ventilation by means of venturi skin penetrations in that area.

Jim Hogan Boeing ECS Engineering

Disclaimer: This is not an official statement of The Boeing Company.
Opinions are my own.