Re: A brief commentary

From:         Rick Hughes <rmhughes@iinet.net.au> (Rick Hughes)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:15:58

In Article <airliners.1996.1084@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) wrote:

>In article <airliners.1996.1055@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>Jon_Ward@blibble.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>  .... Is it just bad luck? Have airports suddenly started
>> employing black cats to cross in front of aeroplanes to give their rescue
>> people a job?

>Related only to the black cats thing, but an interesting story.  During
>WWII, the Air Corps B-29s flew out of airfields in China.  These
>packed-gravel airfields were built by hand by the Chinese, and they needed
>constant maintenance.  As a result, there were always large numbers of
>Chinese workers on the runways during flight operations.  When the B-29s
>took off, the workers would move to the side of the runway until the
>planes were gone.

<SNIP>
>...The people working on the runways figured there was no
>better way to kill an evil spirit than by running over it with a B-29.

<SNIP>

>Sorry this is off the thread and probably in the wrong newsgroup, but the
>black cats comment reminded me of this.

>C. Marin Faure
>   author, Flying a Floatplane

Great story ... I liked it!

I used to operate the L1011 into Shanghai up until a few years ago and
yep ... they're still doing it!  People all over the runways and
taxiways, particularly at night. Though I can't recall anyone actually
hitting one of these 'spirited' individuals  in recent times <G>!

They might have tightened up security a little since then??

Rick Hughes
Perth
Western Australia