Re: Oscillation during flight

From:         emoore@netrunner.net (Eric Moore)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:15:56

In article <airliners.1996.1030@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Bill Hensley
<Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com> wrote:

> Hi, during a recent ATL-DFW flight, the 727-223 I was riding began a series
> of oscillations of increasing size.  The first was about 2-3 degrees and the
> 10th was about 15-20 degrees.  I am a bit uncertain of the exact values as
> I had no way of precisely measuring the activity.  A second set of
oscillations
> of lesser intensity and duration occurred about 2 minutes later.  I was
sitting
> in the very back of the aircraft during this event.  No wx was nearby,
> although you sould see some TCU off in the distance to the north.  This
> occurred about 45 min after takeoff, somewhere over MS/AL.  The ride was
> totally smooth otherwise.

The crew could have been messing around with the yaw dampers.   If they
switch them off, the 727 will oscillate so much that the flight engineer
has to sit facing forward or else he can experience vertigo / motion
sickness.  EM
| Eric Moore          |  emoore@netrunner.net    |
| Miami, Florida      |   PGP Key: OxFBAE5865    |