Re: Three questions.

From:         inet@intellisys.net (brian whatcott)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:15:56

In article <airliners.1996.1075@ohare.Chicago.COM>, pgurnell@direct.ca says...

///
>  If it was an ATC screw up most pilots get somewhat
>perturbed.  During my most recent one in Narita when we were told to go
>around the captain I was flying with said "Roger, cleared to land" just
>to see what the Japanese ATC would do. (nobody fell on sword)

///
This represents a not untypical example of US/Can carrier comms sloppiness.
When the carriers learn to enforce the EMERGENCY comms procedure,
like calling MAYDAY when needed - I will be a happier camper.

 Listen to the Florida crash transcript which illustrates the concept:
no emergency prefix - just a 'wanna return' followed by  'nearest airport'
leaving the ground to divine the seriousness of a cabin/cockpit filling rapidly with
smoke.

Until that time, I'll form my own opinion of what constitutes sloppiness -
and by whom..

brian