Re: What happened to STOL ?(was What happened to the BA146)

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:05

piwh@pcmail.nerc-bas.ac.uk (Paul Whiteman) writes:

>Last DHC-7 production was either late 1988 or early 1989. Ours is #111 which
>is Nov 1988. Production of the two overlapped for some years and the 7 was
>dropped by Boeing for commercial reasons, as was -6 Twin Otter (it -7 filled a
>niche market which didnt expand quickly enough for Mr Boeing) not
>terminated in favour of -8.

Perhaps someone who was at DHC at the time can help me out here.

The last dozen or so -7 airframes were built as 'white tails', with no
customer orders. All references to these aircraft seem to quote a date
of construction very close to the final delivery date to the eventual
customer. I believe they were structurally complete long before then.

So what is the official 'policy' on white tails ?. If an airframe is
completed then stored for some years, what production date is it given.
Airbus had a number of unsold A300s and A310s some years ago. Do these
have official production dates later than their actual construction too.

regards
Brian Maddison