Re: aircraft engine names

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:04

In article <airliners.1996.1094@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Steve Lacker
<slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> The British are the undisputed champions at naming engines, I think that we
> Americans gave up the practice after the 'Liberty' engines. But even the
> British are falling short today- 'Trent', 'Tay', and 'Spey' don't do much to
> stir the imagination.

While these names don't mean much to us here in the US, they have a little
different connotation in England, as they are all names of fairly
significant rivers.  The British love their waterways (as a frequent user
of canal boats in England, I can understand this), and naming things after
them perhaps carries a little more meaning over there.

They also do a nice job of naming their planes at British Airways.  The
747s are named after cities, the 757s are named after castles, I'm not
sure what the 767s, A-320s, and 737s are named after, and the 777s are
named after famous aviation figures.  I am disappointed, however, that
there seems to be no plan at BA to name a 777 after R.J. Mitchell, the
designer of my favorite airplane, the Supermarine S-6b, and of course, the
Supermarine Spitfire.

The US carried the engine-naming tradition through the demise of the
piston engine, with the Wasp and Whirlwind series of engines from Pratt &
Whitney and Wright.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane