Re: aircraft engine names

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:04

> Where have all the engine names gone? :-)

	RR named their piston engines after birds of prey (Merlin,
Griffon, Eagle, etc.).  Turbojets and turbofans were/are named after
major rivers in the British Isles.  Hence, Avon, Tay, Spey, etc.  Some
RR turboshafts are named after precious stones (Gem).  Bristol engines
were named after Greek mythological symbols (Orpheus, Pegasus, Proteus,
Olympus, etc.).  However, RR bought Bristol in 1964 and this ended.  When
RR had financial troubles they stopped naming for a while (RB207, RB211,
etc.), but have restarted this (Tay, Trent, etc.). However, they have now
used several names twice - Tay and Trent.  I think they are running out
of rivers... (how about a RR Humber or Severn?)   Also, many new RR
engines have been developed in partnerships and hence, get numbers
(RR-Turbomeca RTM322, BMW/RR BR710, IAE V2500, etc.).

	P&W used stinging insect names for piston engines - Wasp, Hornet,
Yellow Jacket.  The JT3/J-57 was originally the Turbo Wasp, but this
dissapeared and then everything became JTx and now everthing is PWxxxx.
GE never has named engines and Curtiss-Wright piston engines were always
windstorms (Cyclone, Whirlwind, etc.).

	Personally, I like Turbomeca's names -  Arriel, Astazou, Makila,
Artouste, etc.  I have read that these are peaks in the French Pyrenees,
but I don't know this for a fact.