Re: aircraft engine names

From:         "Philip Morten" <mortenp@hursley.ibm.com>
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:04

Steve Lacker wrote:

> On a less-than-serious note....
>
> Under the 'UAL 747' thread, Graeme Cant mentioned the Britannia and early
> problems with the Proteus turboprop engines.
>
> Where have all the engine names gone? :-) 'Proteus' is probably my all time
> favorite, but 'Dart', 'Olympus', 'Merlin', 'Eland' (a Napier turboprop), and
> 'Griffon' are all in the running. 'Nene' is right out, though :-)
>
> The British are the undisputed champions at naming engines, I think that we
> Americans gave up the practice after the 'Liberty' engines. But even the
> British are falling short today- 'Trent', 'Tay', and 'Spey' don't do much to
> stir the imagination.

British manufacturers named their engines like this:

Rolls-Royce
        Piston engines  Birds of prey   Condor, Kestrel, Falcon
        Gas turbines    Rivers          Derwent, Nene, Tay
Bristol                 Mythology       Jupiter, Pegasus, Hercules
Napier
        Piston engines  Edged weapons   Sabre, Rapier, Javelin
        Gas turbines    Deer etc        Gazelle, Eland
Metropoliton Vickers    Precious stones Beryl, Sapphire
Armstrong Siddeley
        Piston engines  Cats            Cheetah, Lynx
        Gas turbines    Snakes          Adder, Viper
de Havilland
        Gas turbines    G*              Goblin, Ghost, Gyron

As these all eventually merged into Rolls Royce all we get today are
rivers.