Re: AA965 proves Airbus bashers deadly wrong

From:         bauwens@acs.ucalgary.ca (Luc Bauwens)
Date:         25 Jan 96 00:55:03

I realize that this discussion has now moved on to the good old
discussion.  But to come back to the subject of the subject
line, I can't help thinking how wrong it sounds in this
specific case.

Isn't it true that

1. A good computer would not have taken liberties with procedures,
check points etc., and it would not have set up on a short cut thru
a mountain, wouldn't it?

2. And furthermore, a computer might have remembered about aerodynamic
brakes when finally discovering the mountain?

Not to say that this really should be a strong argument in the
debate...  (I.e., I am not really trying to argue in favor of the
computers, joysticks etc.  But it seems to me this particular
accident *really* can't be made into a argument against computers...)

Luc

--
Luc Bauwens                        bauwens@acs.ucalgary.ca
The University of Calgary,         Department of Mechanical Engineering