Re: B757 "Heavy Jet"?

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:02

In article <airliners.1996.1127@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Pete Hughes
<pete@pjhughes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> At Heathrow tonight a Sabena 737 pilot got a right telling-off for
> declining to take off close behind a 757.  He was told that in the UK
> 757s are not considered to be heavy and that 2 minute separation was not
> necessary.  The pilot in the aircraft behind the next 757 further down
> the queue immediately requested two minute separation as well!

Last year we were filming at the rainwater runoff ponds for Heathrow, some
of which have become bird sanctuaries (we were making a film for the Air
Transport Action Group (ATAG) on air transportation and the environment).
The ponds are directly below the final approach path for one of the
runways.  The planes passed overhead perhaps 200-300 feet up on their way
to the threshold.  Every time a 747 went over the pond, the wake vortices
whipped through the trees with a most eerie sound and whipped up
waterspouts off the surface of the water.  Then a BA 757 went over, and it
did exactly the same thing.  There were no "effects" in the trees or on
the water from 737s, A-320s, etc.  I tend to side with the Sabena pilot in
this case.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane