Re: B757 "Heavy Jet"?

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         07 Jul 96 14:09:02

This discussion seems the appropriate place to relate an incident that occurred
on a recent flight I was aboard. We were departing DFW in the usual line of 5-7
A/C at the hammerhead, and I was observing the activities on the runway. All
aircraft in line at this time were 727-200's, MD-8x's, and one MD-90 (the plane
I was on). In all cases, the next plane in line would turn onto the centerline
shortly after the preceeding A/C had begun its roll, but would not release
brakes and accelerate until well after the preceeding A/C was airborne... with
one exception. MY flight! When the 727 ahead of us began its roll, I expected
our pilot to line up, and then wait about another minute. Instead, we turned
onto the centerline about the time the previous plane rotated, and IMMEDIATELY
began accelerating on our own roll. The last time I saw the preceeding 727, it
still had the main gear on the ground after rotating, so we were undoubtedly
rolling before the preceeding A/C was off the runway (I could hear our engines
spool up even before we were actually centered on the runway). I thought that
this was a bit too close, even though a 727 is not a "heavy" (although I don't
know if the "heavy" regulations apply to takeoff or not). In fact, it was
indeed one of the roughest take-off and  climb-outs I've ever been on-
especially since the weather was clear and calm.

Any speculations as to why this would have been done?

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029