Re: Airbus bashing

From:         jim.tilbey@zetnet.co.uk (Jim Tilbey)
Date:         25 Jan 96 00:55:02

In message <airliners.1996.44@ohare.Chicago.COM>
        aschonla@cicresearch.com writes:

> It is an absolute pleasure to watch this rather quiet and sedate
> group.  The Airbus bashing going on in rec.travel.air is becoming
> tiresome and possibly a place where lawyers soon will tread.  The
> story all began with the terrible AA crash in Cali....and now has
> degenerated into a sort of "Airbus crashes more than Boeing" thing.

> If you have not read/watched any of it, you might agree with me (once
> you have) that the group's monitoring is out of control.  What amazes
> me is how people sign their names at the bottom and include their
> company information.  Some of these companies are in the aviation
> business!  I wonder what HQ thinks of all these postings...do they
> perhaps reflect some sort of policy?  I wonder....

I could not agree more with you, in fact a lot of these partisan
comments are not helping the situation at all. The simple fact is
that the majority of accidents we are seeing these days are
avoidable, the weak link is the 'human interface' be it bad flight
deck management, ambiguous procedures or ATC mistakes. It's a credit
to aircraft manufacturers that catastrophic failures these days are
extremely rare.

IMHO we should not be getting involved in a 'my father is bigger than
your father' type arguement, we should be looking at where the
'system' has gone wrong, asking why highly trained professionals are
making irrational or blantently wrong decisions, remember we only get
to hear about those that result in disaster.

There are a lot of similarities between the Cali accident and that of
the Air Inter A320 crash at Stratsbourg in 1992 which to me proves:-

(a) We do not seemed to have learnt a lot over 4 years, and
(b) Mountains do not discriminate between Boeings and Airbuses.

--
Jim Tilbey
Kirkwall, Orkney, UK

jim.tilbey@zetnet.co.uk