Re: Oscillation during flight

From:         hackett@southwind.net (Kim Hackett)
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:56:58

>Hi, during a recent ATL-DFW flight, the 727-223 I was riding began a series
>of oscillations of increasing size.  The first was about 2-3 degrees and the
>10th was about 15-20 degrees.  I am a bit uncertain of the exact values as
>I had no way of precisely measuring the activity.  A second set of oscillations
>of lesser intensity and duration occurred about 2 minutes later.
> Question I have is can anyone give me a good explanation?
>I tried to talk to the flight crew but they were gone from the cockpit by
>the time I got to the front after arrival.

It is always amazing that the flight crew is visible and available following
a smooth flight with a good landing.  When the flight was bumpy or the
landing was not the best, they are always in the cockpit with the door
closed on deplaning.

If I had to guess it would be that the yaw damper was inoperative and they
were manually controlling the dutch roll mode.