Re: Q: Joined wings

From:         kskc@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU (Kevin Cheng)
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:56:57

"Niels M. Sampath" <niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In article <airliners.1996.920@ohare.Chicago.COM>
>            D.P.Rhodes@lut.ac.uk "Darren Rhodes" writes:

> > Personally I think multi-body aircraft offer a significant cost
> > advantage over conventional designs, but they don't reduce the span,
> > which is the main concern for the NLA.
> >

> Just a question from left-field but:  why not a return to bi-planes
> (albiet swept wings etc.)?

Howdy all,
	Well, I'm currently doing my undergrad thesis on the aerodynamics
of joined-wing aircrafts .. and to all indications that I've read and
tried model with some software, the joined-wing provides a very strong
structure, higher span efficiencies (I read e = 1.1 on some configs
believe it or not) amongst other advantages. With good design, the rear
wing can utilise the flow pattern coming off the front wing and lower the
induced drag, separation on the fuselage is delayed etc etc ...
	The bi-plane still ends up with high drag whichever way you look
at it, but the joined-wing can be optimised, and have high crash-
worthiness.
	Not going to write my entire thesis out here of course :*) Still
got a long way to go.

Kev

--
   |   --==[ Kevin  Cheng ]==--   | | | There are only two types: |