aircraft engine names

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:56:55
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

On a less-than-serious note....

Under the 'UAL 747' thread, Graeme Cant mentioned the Britannia and early
problems with the Proteus turboprop engines.

Where have all the engine names gone? :-) 'Proteus' is probably my all time
favorite, but 'Dart', 'Olympus', 'Merlin', 'Eland' (a Napier turboprop), and
'Griffon' are all in the running. 'Nene' is right out, though :-)

The British are the undisputed champions at naming engines, I think that we
Americans gave up the practice after the 'Liberty' engines. But even the
British are falling short today- 'Trent', 'Tay', and 'Spey' don't do much to
stir the imagination.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029