Re: A brief commentary

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:42:12

Jon Ward <Jon_Ward@blibble.demon.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>

>Also, the number of recent crashes raises some serious questions in itself.
>It's starting to look slightly statistically significant. Are air saftey
>standards dropping? Is it just bad luck?

The very nature of random processes means that several very unlikely things can
still happen in rapid succession. If another factor, such as all accident
aircraft having a common design feature, were present then I might think
something statistically significant is going on. I can remember other years
when there seemed to be an abundance of accidents as well, but the number of
accidents didn't keep growing. I think "bad luck" is the likely answer.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029