Smoke Trail

From:         laewell@iastate.edu (Lars A Ewell)
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:42:10
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

To Whom it May Concern,

	I recently rode on a United Airlines 737
(-300 I think) and I noticed something peculiar during
take-off.  Just prior (approx 3sec) to the front
wheels leaving the ground, a thin (approx 10cm diameter)
stream of smoke was emitted from the front of the
engine (I could only see one engine).  This stream of
smoke traveled over the top of the wing and then
back toward the tail of the plane.  It lasted about
ten seconds.  The sight reminded me of pictures I have
seen of objects being tested in a wind tunnel where smoke
(or something similar) is used to make visible the
airflow direction.  The same scenario was repeated on
my return flight.

	Has anyone else seen a similar phenomena?  More
specifically, does anyone know what the cause of this
is?

	Emails and post welcome.

	Thanks in advance.

	regards,