Re: Three questions.

From:         peter neville gurnell <pgurnell@direct.ca>
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:42:10

Peter Smooker <peter.smooker@med.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> I took the kids to Tullamarine airport (Melbourne Australia) today to
> watch the northerly takeoffs and landings- there is an ideal viewing spot
> along the north-south runway. There were three interesting incidents,
> which I would like to ask the experts about.

I must say that you are an extreemly observant person to note all of this
during a sightseeing visit.

> 1. A Singapore airlines A340 moved onto the runway and took off, as an
> Ansett 727 was approaching. The 727 had to abort and go around. Is this a
> mistake by AirTraffic control, does it happen often and how annoyed would
> the 727 crew have been?

Depends!  We all like to finger ATC however the approaching aircraft may
have been cheating by a few knots on the speed he(the generic he) was
supposed to maintain up to the final approach fix (3-4miles from touchdown).
Also the A340 may have had a slot time (10 minute space) to meet in order to
get their clearance.  If it was an ATC screw up most pilots get somewhat
perturbed.  During my most recent one in Narita when we were told to go
around the captain I was flying with said "Roger, cleared to land" just
to see what the Japanese ATC would do. (nobody fell on sword)

> 2. A Qantas 747-400 started its takeoff run and then stopped, moved off
> the runway and stopping and starting a few times (ie: winding up
> the engines) before moving into the queue again and taking off normally.
> What could have been the problem?

Usually an abandoned takeoff (as opposed to rejected takeoff) occurs
due to a takeoff configuration warning or an abnormal parameter being
noticed as power was advanced.  It could have been one of a bizillion
things.

> 3. An Evergreen cargo 747 (200?) was about to take off. There was
> substantial vapour coming from the left wingtip. It took off and the
> vapour increased. After takeoff vapour was coming from the right hand
> wingtip as well, obscuring the plane. Was this fuel, and if so, is it not
> dangerous? Why was it being released?

Supposing it was fuel rather than an atmospheric phenomenon it could have
been from a vent box that allowed some fuel in during the fuelling process.
Otherwise, I dunno.  It would not have been coming from the dump valve
unless it was some sort of a malfunction.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Peter.>