Re: B757 "Heavy Jet"?

From:         rathinam@worf.netins.net (Sethu R Rathinam)
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:42:09

Doug Snow (dougie@mama.indstate.edu) wrote:
: On 10 Jun 1996 Mooney1@ix.netcom.com wrote:

: >     Hello I was wondering if someone can help me understanding why the
: > FAA decreed the 757 as a Heavy Jet.
: > I know it fits the Cat. just by using its weight, but if I'm not

: Unless I was mistaken, the heavy moniker comes into play at gross weights
: over 300,000 lbs.  Even the B757-200ER ETOPS aircraft do not weight this
: much.  The highest max takeoff gross I have seen for a B757 is around
: 255,000 for a ETOPS B757 of ATA.

: Granted, it does have the wake turbulence of a heavy, in that the wing is
: almost exactly like the B767s wing, which IS a heavy jet.

I can't find any information on "757 Classified as heavy" by the FAA.
However, the following URLs are of interest if you want to pursue this
further.

(I will copy the first and last paragraphs from the first URL to give a
little background to future searchers of the s.a.a archives):

(search for 757 wake)
BEGIN QUOTE

Data_Source: U.S. Safety Recommendation

Rprt_Nbr: A-94-55

[O] Since December 1992, there have been five accidents and
incidents in which an airplane on approach to landing
encountered the wake vortex of a preceding Boeing 757.
Thirteen occupants died in two of the accidents. The
encounters, which occurred while the aircraft were on visual
approaches, were severe enough to create an unrecoverable loss
of control for a Cessna Citation, a Cessna 182, and an Israel
Aircraft Industries Westwind. Additionally, there were
significant but recoverable losses of control for a McDonnell
Douglas MD-88 and a Boeing 737 (both required immediate and
aggressive flight control deflections by their flightcrews).

A significant body of knowledge has been
compiled about the characteristics of wake vortices for the
Boeing 757 and other transport category aircraft. This
information is being integrated into the various FAA wake
vortex initiatives now underway to address the vortex hazard.

END QUOTE (There is more on this web page)

This page talks about Pilot Training in Heavy Wake Vortex Turbulence:
Awareness and Containment.  I believe this Flight Standards Handbook
Bulletin for Air Transportation is the formal FAA Action that came out.

Other URLS of interest:

http://www.nbaa.org/nonmember/library/pressreleases/pr94/94-34.htm

http://www.hiway.co.uk/customer/aviation/public/index94.html

http://www.aopa.org/prjpilot/tornado.html

(Anecdotal evidence and accident/incident reports and pointers
in the last 3).

Sethu R.Rathinam   rathinam@worf.netins.net  (Finger for PGP Public Key)
    Key fingerprint =  C5 F8 89 0C 82 9A BA 28  E4 6A D7 C6 E3 95 5E C4