Re: A second 757 crash -- off the Dominican coast

From:         piwh@pcmail.nerc-bas.ac.uk (Paul Whiteman)
Date:         27 Jun 96 12:42:09

In article <airliners.1996.1060@ohare.Chicago.COM> Ray Clawson <rcl055@airmail.net> writes:
>Subject: Re: A second 757 crash -- off the Dominican coast
>>I've not heard of JP5; ISTM JP7 (or was it 8?) was SR-71 Blackbird
>>fuel -- thick gummy yucky stuff when cold, but by the time it was
>>heated [the fuel helped cool the skin], it flowed nicely.

I didnt see the original post however JP5 is high flash (aircraft) carrier
(turbine) fuel. JP 7 is high flash tubine fuel meeting US Mil Spec T-38219B
whilst JP 8 is low flash Turbine fuel to Mil Spec T-83133C (equal to UK
AVTUR + FSII).

There is a relationship between JP5 and JP7 but dont have time to follow
through at present.

All of these are to all intents kerosine and like all turbine fuels eg. JetA1
are "clear and bright" with similar viscosities. Not sure where the "thick
gummy" bit comes from!

Rgds, Paul (Whiteman)