Re: B-777 cockpit

From: (Alan Browne)
Organization: Canadian Marconi Company
Date:         24 Jun 96 12:24:51 
References:   1 2
View raw article
  or MIME structure

>The 777 does not have a flight engineer.  It has a two-crew cockpit.  The
>display you're referring to is called a "MAT" (Maintenance Access
>Terminal) and is used by ground technicians to access the 777's on-board
>fault reporting and diagnosis system called BITE, which stands for
>Built-In-Test-Equipment.  There is a similar display in the E-bay under
>the forward cabin, and portable units (PMATs) can be plugged in at various
>points around the plane.  The screen forward of the ppower levers in the
>center consol also can be used as a MAT.
>Unless the airline you were on ordered something different from the 777s
>I've been on here at Boeing, the pull-down menus on the MAT and on the
>flight crew's center display are activated by touch pads, not trackballs.
>All you do is move your finger around on the pad and the cursor on the
>screen follows.  The flight crew's touch pads are beside them just forward
>of the power lever quadrant, and incorporate palm rests to make it easier
>to use the pad in turbulence.

While you are right that the pilot/co-ppilot displays use a touchpad, I
assure you that the MAT behaind the copilot uses a trackball.  That supports
your assertion that the panel is for maintenance and not for operational use
in flight.  On the other hand, the fellow who sat there during the flight,
and used it during the flight was introduced as the flight engineer, and
wore 2nd officer bars...I guess for initial service, that airline wanted an
extra man up front...