Re: B-777 cockpit

From:         Steven Belle <>
Organization: Primenet
Date:         24 Jun 96 12:24:50 
References:   1 2
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> The 777 does not have a flight engineer.  It has a two-crew cockpit.  The
> display you're referring to is called a "MAT" (Maintenance Access
> Terminal) and is used by ground technicians to access the 777's on-board
> fault reporting and diagnosis system called BITE, which stands for
> Built-In-Test-Equipment.  There is a similar display in the E-bay under
> the forward cabin, and portable units (PMATs) can be plugged in at various
> points around the plane.  The screen forward of the ppower levers in the
> center consol also can be used as a MAT.

Well, a bit of a nitpick on the name -- the MAT runs software (MTF -
Maintenance Terminal Function) that is used to access the CMCF (Central
Maintenance Computing Function) or ACMF (Airplane Condition Monitoring
Function).  BITE is kind of a generic term used to describe the fault
reporting done by the various black boxes on the airplane.

Also, the lower center display unit can't be used to access the CMCF or
ACMF.  There may be maintenance information displayed there via EICAS,
but you can't get to the CMCF or ACMF through that display. There are
optional side displays that are located to the outboard side of either
front seat that could be used like a MAT, but whether the side displays
are present depends on whether the airline bought them. Those side displays
do use the center console mounted touch pad for a pointing device.

> Unless the airline you were on ordered something different from the 777s
> I've been on here at Boeing, the pull-down menus on the MAT and on the
> flight crew's center display are activated by touch pads, not trackballs.
> All you do is move your finger around on the pad and the cursor on the
> screen follows.  The flight crew's touch pads are beside them just forward
> of the power lever quadrant, and incorporate palm rests to make it easier
> to use the pad in turbulence.

The MAT vendor did switch from the pressure sensitive touch pads to a
track ball, but I believe you when you say that you still have the MAT
touch pads floating around at Boeing. The pointing devices for the up-front
displays is indeed a touch pad (not a pressure sensitive touch pad, but
I'm not sure about the correct term -- capacitance, maybe?)

Steve Belle