Re: B757 "Heavy Jet"?

From:         barr@netcom.com (Keith Barr)
Date:         24 Jun 96 00:42:04

 <Mooney1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>    Hello I was wondering if someone can help me understanding why the
>FAA decreed the 757 as a Heavy Jet.
>I know it fits the Cat. just by using its weight, but if I'm not
>mistaken that was not the reason behind the ruling.

Unless the FAA reconsidered an earlier decision, the 757 is not a heavy.
The FAA considered moving the B-757-200 into the heavy category, due to
unusually long lasting wake vorticies, but later decided not to do so.  The
757-200 is not heavy enough to be a heavy by weight, which requires a
maximum gross takeoff weight in excess of 300,000 pounds.
--
Keith Barr                                       COMM AS&MEL/IA/A&IGI AERO/EIT
barr@netcom.com                                          Westminster, Colorado