Re: UAL 747?

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         22 Jun 96 18:30:39

In article <airliners.1996.980@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dangrad@ix.netcom.com
(Daniel J. Gradwohl) wrote:

> C. Marin Faure writes:
>

> >Our (Boeing) AOG teams have made remarkable repairs to airplanes in
> >the field.  Some of these projects, like the Air France 747 that slid
> >off a runway in India
>
>     Actually, the Air France 747 you speak of (a -400, F-GITA) ran off
> the end of the runway at PPT (Tahiti) on 9-12-93.  It was brought out
> of the water (in an overrun beyond the runway) with the help of a
> Boeing team, using inflatable tubes which lifted the aircraft off the
> ground, and then cranes were used to haul it back onto the runway.  The
> waterline was all the way up to the floor of the upper deck!

I remember the Tahiti incident, although I don't know any of the details
about the repair.  But I'm almost positive the India repair I was talking
about was an Air France plane, as well.  It's been a number of years, back
in the late 1980s, and I frankly can't remember what happened to the
plane.  It went off the end of the runway, but I don't know if they
overshot the landing or tried to abort a takeoff.  Maybe someone else in
this group remembers the details more accurately.  I know the plane was a
mess, with engines ripped off and so on.

One of our video producers made a show using footage that was shot by
members of the AOG team, inlcuding putting up the big tent that covered
the plane, offloading the drinking water and food Boeing flew in for the
crew, etc., and I'm sure I remember it being an Air France plane.  I know
I made the comment as I watched part of the video in the control room that
the repair effort didn't seem worth it.  The producer then told me the bit
about how it would have taken longer to obtain a replacement plane than
fix the broken one, and the airline didn't want to lose the revenue.  I
could be wrong about the airline being Air France, though.  It wouldn't be
the first time...

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane