From: (Wayne M. Hurwitz)
Organization: Northrop Grumman Information Services Center, Hawthorne, CA
Date:         07 Jul 95 14:26:28 
References:   1 2 3
Followups:    1
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1995.871@ohare.Chicago.COM> (Christoph Bernhardt) writes:
>>>>>> "JF" == Jean-Francois Mezei <MEZEI_JF@Eisner.DECUS.Org> writes:
>    JF> In a FBW system, the computer can make lickety split decisions
>    JF> if something arises. If the information given to the computer

  I think I'm having a semantics problem.  I agree with an earlier comment
in this thread that a FBW system refers to the electronic linkage between
the pilots input to the effector, whether its a wing flap or the
engine PLA. i.e. the computers simply translate the pilots stick or
throttle input to an electronic signal that goes to the appropriate
controller.    This effectively replaces what used to be hydro-mechanical.
   What everyone else is talking about is the Flight
Control System, which involves all the other automated functions,
such as autopilot and navigational control, which are implemented
to decrease pilot load.  Am I wrong?

Wayne M. Hurwitz                 | Phone:  (310) 948-6567
Northrop Grumman Corporation     | Fax:    (310) 942-6464
B-2 Business & Advanced Systems  | Email: