Re: Lockheed Constellation

From:         shevell@leland.stanford.edu (Richard Shevell)
Date:         01 Feb 95 02:16:20

katie@physics2.berkeley.edu (Katie Schwarz) wrote:

> I read a story set in the present where someone takes a Lockheed
> Constellation from London to New York. This is a huge anachronism,
> right? How long has it been since any Constellations were in service?
> (In the current issue of Airliners magazine there's an article on a
> midair collision between a Constellation and a DC-8 in 1960, which says
> "Subsequent to TWA placing 707s into service, the Connies were
> relegated to less prestigious routes such as Columbus to New York.")

The Constellations, DC-6's and DC-7's were relegated to shorter routes by
the early 1960's. Some were converted to cargo service. The DC-6's lasted
longer because they had lower operating costs and 30 % of them were still
in  service in the mid-70's, as cargo planes, with the air forces,
government agencies, as fire-fighting tankers.  By then all but 4
Super-Constellations had been retired.
--
Richard Shevell
Email: shevell@leland.stanford.edu